** Coronavirus COVID-19 Update December 23rd 2020 - Click here **

Electric Convector Heater Fire in a Southampton office

ACE were called out to install a new digital electric heater in Southampton following an electric convector heater fire in an office reception

Electric Convector Heater Fire in a Southampton office

Article by Simon Parker,

I was called out after a report of a fire from an electric convector heater in an office reception in Hedge End, Southampton.

On arrival, I found the client had left the electric heater operating all night (rather than use the timer function) when it developed a fault and ignited.

The cable combusted causing significant damage to the plug socket, wiring, DADO trucking and caused smoke damage to the walls.

Thankfully there was a smoke sensor and fire alarm system installed directly above the heater alerting the owners and the fire department who were able to attend and resolve the fire before spreading, causing an unknown amount of damage.

I isolated the electric supply to the socket and heater, made safe and advised on remedial works.

The heater was beyond economical repair.

I returned and:

  • installed a new digital high efficiency electric heater with a programmable control.
  • Stripped out old trunking and renewed.
  • Rewired a new ring main direct from the consumer unit.
  • Installed a new double socket within the new trunking and disconnected the roller shutter supply plug.
  • Drilled through wall and connected heater to a new fused spur in the adjacent room.
  • Tidied area and tested new installation.

See more about our related services here: